Laser eye surgery can effectively correct vision for many people so that they no longer need contact lenses or glasses. Laser eye surgery is designed to reshape cornea or the clear front part of eye so that light travelling through it is properly focused on retina situated in the back portion of eye. This vision correction surgery which is also called refractive & laser eye surgery is a surgical procedure which can also correct a variety of vision problems affecting humans. Tremendous advancements have been made in this field in recent years through which many patients have benefitted & reported seeing better than they ever had at any other point of time in their life. Other vision correction surgeries involve replacing the natural lens of eyes.
Types of Vision Improvement Surgeries
- LASIK or Laser in-situ Keratomileusis – This laser eye surgery is utilized to correct vision in people who are farsighted, nearsighted and/or have astigmatism. Vision is corrected by reshaping underlying corneal tissue during LASIK surgery so that proper focusing of light into eye & onto retina is made possible. The difference in this eye surgery from others is that flap is made in outer layer of cornea in LASIK so that underlying tissue can be made accessible. LASIK can also be done in combination with computer imaging where it is called as Wavefront technology & is designed to create detailed image of cornea & thereby guide treatment procedure.
- Photorefractive Keratectomy or PRK – This type of laser surgery is generally used to correct mild to moderate farsightedness, nearsightedness and/or astigmatism. Eye surgeons use laser to reshape cornea during PRK surgery by delivering a cool pulsing beam of ultraviolet light used on surface of the cornea & not under a flap of cornea like it is done in LASIK eye surgical procedure. Photorefractive Keratectomy is also performed with computer imaging of cornea.
- LASEK or Laser Epithelial Keratomileusis – This eye procedure is in fact a variant of Photorefractive Keratectomy in which an epithelial flap is created & epithelial cells are subsequently loosened using alcohol solution. Laser is then used to reshape cornea & flap is replaced & secured with soft contact lens while healing. LASEK eye surgery is normally used to treat farsightedness, nearsightedness and/or astigmatism.
Other Effective Eye Procedures
- Refractive Lens Exchange or RLE – This eye procedure is also known as Clear Lens Extraction (CLE). RLE is quite similar to other eye surgeries performed for cataracts & involves making small incisions at the edge of cornea so as to remove natural lens of eye & replace with a plastic or silicone lens. Also called Clear Lens Exchange or Refractive Lens Replacement, RLE is effectively used to correct extreme nearsightedness or extreme farsightedness. This could be the most appropriate eye procedure for people with dry eyes, thin cornea or some other minor problems of cornea. However, other procedures like LASEK, PRK, EpiLasik or CK may be needed additionally with RLE so as to correct astigmatism.
- EpiLasik – Quite similar to PRK, EpiLasik involves separating a very thin layer from cornea in order to subsequently reshape cornea. This thin layer is then either let off or replaced. Eye area involved in the procedure is subsequently protected with soft contact lens during healing period.
- PRELEX or Presbyopic Lens Exchange – This eye surgery procedure involves implanting a multifocal lens so as to correct presbyopia which is a condition where natural eye lenses lose flexibility & make it difficult for eye to focus on objects which are located closer.
- Intracorneal Ring Segments or Intacs or ICR – This eye procedure involves making small incision in cornea & placing 2 crescent-shaped plastic rings along the outer edges of cornea. These rings which flatten the cornea are designed to change the way light rays focus on retina. Intacs was earlier used to treat mild nearsightedness & nearsightedness but is now replaced by newer laser based eye procedures. Irregular shape of cornea from keratoconus resulting in vision loss due to irregularity & thinning in cornea is most commonly treated with ICR.
- Phakic Intraocular Lens Implants – This procedure is designed for patients who are too nearsighted for PRK & LASIK. Phakic implant is inserted through a small incision made at the edge of cornea & attached to iris behind the pupil. Difference of this procedure from RLE is that the natural lens of eye is left in place in this operation.
- Astigmatic Keratotomy or AK or RLI – Though this is not a laser eye procedure, AK is surgery of the eye which is commonly used to correct astigmatism. Cornea of people suffering from astigmatism is shaped like a football. AK eye surgery can correct astigmatism by making one or two incisions at the steepest parts of cornea. These incisions will subsequently cause cornea to relax & become more rounded in shape. AK eye surgery may either be used alone or in combination with other laser eye procedures like RK, LASIK or PRK.
- Radial Keratotomy or RK – This eye procedure was one of the most frequently used surgeries which were used to correct nearsightedness. However, development of other more effective laser eye techniques like RK, PRK & LASIK has made Radial Keratotomy an obsolete eye procedure.
Refractive & Laser Eye Surgery in Goa
LASEK, PRK & LASIK eye surgery is performed at minimal costs under expert ophthalmologists which attract an increasing number of international patients every year. Easy availability & excellent quality of various eye procedures by the best eye surgeons in Goa has made eye treatments very popular among thousands of foreign tourists who throng to enjoy sun, sand & leisure. IndianMedTrip, which is the fastest & most reputed medical tourism company in the country, provides a wide spectrum of affordable healthcare solutions including advanced laser eye solutions for people from all parts of the world. Associated with the best ophthalmologists & accredited eye hospitals, IndianMedTrip consultants would also be delighted to combine an exotic recuperation tour at reasonable costs so as to make your eye treatment journey a memorable experience.