What is Bladder Cancer?
Cancer produced in the tissues of the urinary bladder is known as bladder cancer. This cancer has a rapid and uncontrollable growth of abnormal cells in the bladder. Bladder cancer usually begins in the lining of the bladder which can spread through the lining into the muscular wall of the bladder. Invasive bladder cancer can also spread to the organs in the pelvis, lymph nodes and other different organs of the body such as lungs or liver. The exact cause of the bladder cancer is still unknown. There are different types of cancer:-
- Non-invasive bladder cancer: – Non-invasive bladder cancer occurs on the inward lining of the bladder.
- Invasive bladder cancer: – This type of cancer spreads in the deeper walls of the bladder.
- Advanced bladder cancer: – In this type cancer has spread outside the bladder to other parts of the body.
- Transitional Cell Carcinoma: – This is the most common type of bladder cancer. This occurs in the inner layer of the bladder.
- Squamous Cell Carcinoma: – This is a rare type of bladder cancer which occurs when thin, flat squamous cells form in the bladder. Squamous cells generally occur after a long-term of irritation or infection in the bladder.
- Adenocarcinoma: – Adenocarcinoma is the rarest type of cancer which starts with glandular cells. This cancer is usually found after a long-term of irritation and inflammation.
Bladder Cancer Symptoms
There are a number of disparate symptoms that indicate bladder cancer some of which are as follows:-
- Weight loss.
- Bone tenderness.
- Blood in the urine.
- Painful urination.
- Blood Clots in the urine.
- Pelvic pain.
- The frequent or urgent need of urination.
- Urinary incontinence.
- Pain in the lower back and abdominal area.
Risk Factors for Developing Bladder Cancer
Following are some of the factors that contribute towards the risk of developing bladder cancer:-
- Smoking cigarettes or cigars can increase the risk of bladder cancer as it accumulates harmful chemicals in the urine. When an individual smokes the body processes the chemicals present in the smoke and excrete some of them in the urine. The harmful chemical present in the smoke can damage the lining of the bladder and increases the chances of bladder cancer.
- Bladder cancer can occur at any age but mostly it is found in people with increasing age. The risk of bladder cancer increases with the age.
- White people have a greater risk of bladder cancer.
- As compared to women, men are more likely to have bladder cancer.
- If any individual has more exposure to certain chemicals which are used in the manufacture of rubber, leather, dyes, textiles and paint products are more prone to the have bladder cancer.
- If any individual had undergone cancer treatment previously with anti-cancer drug cyclophosphamide then it can increase the risk of bladder cancer in the individual.
- Individuals who have undergone radiation treatments which were aimed at the pelvis for previous cancer have an elevated risk of developing bladder cancer in future.
- Personal or family history of cancer.
- Chronic bladder inflammation.
- Individual consuming high-fat diet.
- Low fluid consumption.
Diagnosis of Bladder Cancer
Surgeons conduct a series of tests and procedures to diagnose bladder such as:-
- Urine cytology.
- Imaging tests.
Once the bladder cancer is confirmed the doctors conduct other additional tests to determine the stage of cancer which includes:-
- Chest X-ray
- CT scan
- Bone scan
Available Treatment for Bladder Cancer in India
Treatment for bladder cancer depends on a number of factors such as the type of bladder cancer, stage of cancer, treatment preferences and overall health of the patient.
Treatment for early-stage of bladder cancer
- Surgery to extract the tumor: – Transurethral resection of bladder tumor is used to remove bladder cancers which are confined to the inner layers of the bladder. While performing Transurethral resection of the bladder, the surgeon passes a small wire loop through a cystoscopy in the bladder of the patient. A loop is used to burn away cancer cells with an electric current. In some cases, high-energy lasers are also used instead of electric current.
- Surgery to remove a small portion of the bladder and tumor: – The surgeons use segmental cystectomy to remove the only portion of the bladder with cancer cells. Segmental cystectomy is used in case if the cancer is limited to one area of the bladder.
- Biological therapy or immunotherapy: – While undergoing biological therapy the patient’s body’s immune system signals the body to fight cancer cells. Biological therapy for bladder cancer is usually performed through the urethra directly into the bladder.
Treatment for Invasive Bladder Cancer
- Surgery to remove the entire bladder: – Radical cystectomy is used to remove the entire bladder and the surrounding lymph nodes. In case if the vesicles and in the case of women while undergoing radical cystectomy the ovaries, uterus, and part of the vagina are removed.
- Surgery to create a new way to urine from the patient’s body: – In this approach, the surgeon creates a urinary conduit by using a piece of the patient’s intestine. The tube runs from the ureters, which drain the kidneys of the patient outside the body.
Chemotherapy: – Chemotherapy is used to kill the cancer cells that are left behind after the surgery. Chemotherapy treatment for bladder cancer usually involves two or more chemotherapy drugs used in combination.
Radiation therapy: – Radiation therapy used high-energy beams to kill the cancer cells. Radiation therapy for bladder cancer usually is delivered from a machine that moves around your body, directing the energy beams to precise points.
Cost of Bladder Cancer treatment in India
Treatment for of bladder cancer can be very expensive in western countries whereas bladder cancer treatments are available in India at much-depreciated prices. Cancer treatments have a huge success rate of around 90% in India due to the availability of highly skilled surgeons and world-class cancer treatments.
Why IndianMedTrip for Bladder Cancer Treatment?
IndianMedTrip is an emerging medical tourism company in India with a prime focus to provide their patients with the best medical treatments at the most reasonable prices. IndianMedTrip offers a range of services which starts arrival to the departure of the patient. Patients every little detail is taken care of at IndianMedTrip. Consultants at IndianMedTrip provide their patients with the best deals for their medical treatments.