Sweat glands are responsible for maintaining normal temperature of our body by removing harmful toxins and extra salts from it. However, excessive sweating may lead to uncomfortable and embarrassing situations and cause social anxiety in an individual. Also known as ‘diaphoresis’, hyperhidrosis is a condition that causes excessive sweating in an individual’s body. Overactive sweat glands may adversely affect areas such as armpits, palms, feet, groin, chest, and face. Patients suffering from hyperhidrosis may need to shower and change clothes several times a day in order to cope up with it. It may become distressing over a period of time. In such instances, patients must seek medical assistance.
Causes and Risk Factors for Hyperhidrosis
An underlying problem in nervous system region that controls sweat glands is the major cause of occurrence of hyperhidrosis. Other than that, medical professionals state that the following risk factors may trigger the condition of hyperhidrosis in an individual.
- Pregnancy or Menopause – Hyperhidrosis may occur either during pregnancy phase or during menopause.
- Anxiety – Anxiety may lead to excessive sweating in an individual’s body.
- Medications – People who take antidepressant medications due to health issues like depression are more prone to getting hyperhidrosis.
- Low Sugar Levels – Low sugar levels in body may aggravate a large range of health issues including hyperhidrosis.
- Overactive Thyroid Glands – In some instances, overactive thyroid glands may cause hyperhidrosis.
- Severe Infections – People suffering from fatal infections like tuberculosis or HIV are at greater risk of getting hyperhidrosis.
Signs and Symptoms of Hyperhidrosis
The following are some of the major signs and symptoms of hyperhidrosis. Patients should visit an experienced doctor for availing precise diagnosis and treatment.
- Wetness around Hands, Armpits, and Face – Patients struggling with an underlying hyperhidrosis condition are likely to encounter wetness due to excessive sweating around their face, armpits, and face areas. It is the most prominent symptom of hyperhidrosis.
- Routine Activities – Patients who experience sweating while doing basic routine tasks such as typing on a keyboard or driving a car are most probably suffering from hyperhidrosis.
- Staining of Clothes – Patients who notice stains on their clothes caused due to sweating despite maintaining good hygiene should consult a doctor because it is a clear indication of hyperhidrosis.
Respective doctors may ask patients regarding the problems they are facing on a regular basis. They may also ask whether they have any neurological disorder. Once everything is done, they are likely to order the given tests for determining the presence of hyperhidrosis.
- Starch Iodine Test – Starch iodine test is considered to be a golden standard for diagnosing condition of hyperhidrosis. During this test, doctors prepare a solution of iodine and starch. They carefully apply the iodine solution to all the regions where sweat glands are present such as patient’s palms. After that, they sprinkle a small quantity of starch powder over it. The regions which produce excess sweat become dark bluish or purple in color that helps doctors in determining the problem and its intensity.
- Paper Test – Paper test is a special type of evaluation test for hyperhidrosis that significantly measures the amount of sweat produced in an individual body normally. Respective doctors use a paper and apply it on the areas of concern. They remove the paper after a few minutes and check the weight of paper. Heaviness of paper is directly proportional to the amount of sweat absorbed. In this way, doctors may confirm presence of hyperhidrosis.
- Blood Tests – Respective doctors may ask patients to undergo several blood tests to check if they are struggling with problems like hyperthyroidism as it may also aggravate excessive sweating. Patients will need to lie comfortably while the doctors take a sample of blood from their body and analyze it in a medical laboratory.
Treatment Options for Hyperhidrosis
Doctors will choose a suitable procedure for hyperhidrosis depending on patient’s requirements. The following list elaborates some of the major treatments for hyperhidrosis.
- Botox for Hyperhidrosis – Botox for hyperhidrosis may help relieve its symptoms to a great extent. Botox injections are applied in the regions that produce a heavy amount of sweats and cause trouble to patients. During hyperhidrosis botox treatment, patients are asked to lie down in a comfortable manner. After that, nearly 15 to 20 injections of botox are applied in specific sweat-producing areas. It blocks the signals that control the activity of sweat glands and noticeably reduce the frequency of sweating. Hyperhidrosis botox treatment session may take 30 to 40 minutes for its completion.
- miraDry Treatment – The miraDry treatment for controlling hyperhidrosis has become a popular noninvasive procedure across the world. miraDry is an advanced handheld medical device that can considerably reduce unwanted underarm sweat in an individual by destroying the odor-producing sweat glands. It is developed by Miramar Labs of Sunnyvale. miraDry emits powerful microwaves that generate heat energy which is capable of wiping out the unwanted sweat glands. These glands do not grow again once they are destroyed. Patients may need to undergo up to three sessions of miraDry to get maximum beneficial results.
- Laser Treatment for Hyperhidrosis – In some instances, doctors may suggest laser treatment for hyperhidrosis. This therapy involves use of a sharp beam of laser which is focused on specific hypersecreting sweat glands areas. It is performed under the influence of local anesthetics that numb the desired areas. During this procedure, small incisions are made around regions that need to be targeted and laser device is inserted through them. Hyperhidrosis laser treatment maintains a high degree of accuracy and it does not affect the surrounding healthy tissues. Heat energy emitted from laser device significantly reduce the risks of occurrence of infections and bleeding in patients.
- Thoracic Sympathectomy – Commonly known as ‘endoscopic thoracic sympathectomy’ (ETS), thoracic sympathectomy is a surgical intervention that can be used to treat excessive sweating especially in underarms and palms of an individual. This hyperhidrosis surgery is performed by using general anesthetic medicines which clearly implies that patients will be asleep during the entire procedure. It will minimize the chances of any type of discomfort or pain. After that, respective doctors will make tiny incisions around side of patient’s chest in order to gain access to underlying nerves that control sweat glands of affected region. Once they find the nerves, they carefully clip them or sometimes, they may cut them. It eliminates the possibility of occurrence of signals that cause sweating. Doctors close the incisions and they may monitor patients for some time to avoid risks of postoperative complications following this hyperhidrosis surgery.
Risks and Complications Associated with Hyperhidrosis Treatment
The following points give out major risks and complications associated with different treatments for hyperhidrosis.
- Botox for Hyperhidrosis – Patients who have taken botox for hyperhidrosis may encounter problems such as soreness at injection site, temporary muscle paralysis, headache, fever, dry mouth, and mild bruising.
- miraDry Treatment – Patients who have undergone miraDry treatment may experience complications such as redness, tenderness, swelling, numbness or tingling sensation around their armpits.
- Laser Treatment for Hyperhidrosis – Laser treatment for hyperhidrosis may result in problems such as swelling, bruising, and soreness around targeted site.
- Thoracic Sympathectomy – Patients who have undergone thoracic sympathectomy surgery may have to face complications such as sweating of neck and face after eating regular meals (gustatory sweating problem), bleeding in chest area, chest pain, serious breathing issues, and permanent nervous system damage.
Recovery Following Hyperhidrosis Treatment
Recovery period following hyperhidrosis treatment will vary according to severity of hyperhidrosis, the type of treatment used for it, and patient’s overall condition. Patients will need to follow the instructions of respective doctors in order to recover in a smooth manner. Doctors may prescribe some medicines in order to help patients overcome uneasiness during postoperative period. Patients should attend follow-up care sessions regularly to avoid occurrence of additional health issue in future.
Avail High-Quality Hyperhidrosis Treatment in India with IndianMedTrip
IndianMedTrip is one of the topmost healthcare consulting firms in India. Medical consultants at IndianMedTrip have a close association with all top neurosurgeons and other medical professionals that are renowned for giving best results following hyperhidrosis treatment in India. When it comes to hyperhidrosis treatment cost, majority of multispecialty hospitals in India provide cost-effective solutions to overseas patients. To be honest, hyperhidrosis treatment cost in India is extremely reasonable as compared to Gulf countries. In fact, hyperhidrosis treatment cost in India is nearly half of the prices that hospitals in Gulf countries normally demand. Therefore, global patients need not worry regarding hyperhidrosis treatment cost while visiting India. IndianMedTrip offers free online medical consultation to international patients seeking finest hyperhidrosis surgery. In addition to that, they assist them throughout their hyperhidrosis treatment in India as well as during their recovery period even when they fly back to their own nations. If you or someone you know is looking for cost-effective as well as quality hyperhidrosis treatment in India, you may contact IndianMedTrip by filling up a simple inquiry form or you may also avail their free call-back services. Healthcare consultant at IndianMedTrip will definitely call you back within 48 hours and guide you further for availing hyperhidrosis surgery in a hassle-free manner. So, send your inquiry now for ensuring a better quality of life.
CONNECT WITH US