Nasopharynx is a part of throat which binds back portion of nasal area to backside of mouth. It serves as a passage for fresh and oxygenated air that one inhales. It enters through nose and passes via throat, and nasopharynx to lungs. Nasopharyngeal cancer is a deadly disease which starts due to buildup of unusual and malignant tissues in nasopharynx region. Medical researchers have still not reached a conclusion about what exactly aggravates the growth of this fatal cancer disease.
What Are The Symptoms of Nasopharyngeal Cancer?
Just like other types of cancer, nasopharyngeal cancer can also be successfully cured if it is detected timely. However, identifying nasopharyngeal cancer is not an easy task as this disease does not result in any noticeable signs in its primary phase.
- Lump in Neck – It is one of the common signs of throat or nasopharyngeal cancer. Patients experiencing a lump in neck from several weeks should not delay in visiting a doctor.
- Unusual Saliva – Sometimes, nasopharyngeal cancer may severely harm cells present in mouth and lead to bloody saliva condition.
- Bloody Nasal Discharge – Bloody discharge from nose and nasal congestion could be potential signs of this type of cancer. In such instances, patients must reach out for a prompt medical care.
- Hearing Problems – Patients with an underlying nasopharyngeal cancer are more likely to suffer from hearing problems such as ear infections and partial or complete hearing loss.
- Headaches – This disease can also lead to episodes of frequent headaches. Patients must consult a qualified doctor for a definite diagnosis.
Major Risk Factors Associated With Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Precise cause of nasopharyngeal cancer is not known. The following list elaborates the major risk factors that may fuel up the probability of nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Sex – Men are more prone to nasopharyngeal cancer as compared to women.
- Age – This life-threatening disease can occur at any given point of time. But it is most commonly observed in people in the age category of 30 to 50.
- Salt-Cured Diet – People who consume a diet containing a high amount of salt-cured meats are at a greater risk of getting nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Epstein – Barr virus – This virus is heavily linked to a number of cancers including nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Family History – An individual with a family history of nasopharyngeal cancer should get indulged in regular health check-ups to minimize the risk of getting this disease.
Diagnosing Nasopharyngeal Cancer
Patients experiencing abnormal symptoms should take an appointment with an experienced oncologist. Doctors may start with a physical evaluation of throat. They may suggest the enumerated tests on suspecting a serious nasopharyngeal condition.
- Nasal Endoscopy – This test involves the use of a flexible tube having a camera on one end, called as an endoscope, to figure out any abnormality in nasopharynx. Surgeons insert the endoscope via patient’s throat and perform a detailed analysis.
- Biopsy – A biopsy involves removing a sample of tissues from patient’s nasopharynx region and evaluating it thoroughly in laboratory to check out for the presence of cancerous cells.
- Computerized Tomography (CT) – This test is helpful in giving out precise images of patient’s entire throat including nasopharynx area.
- Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) – An MRI scan uses magnetic fields as well as radio waves for producing high-resolution photos of patient’s nasopharynx and surrounding areas. This imaging test is highly reliable as compared to other imaging tests.
Treatment Options for Nasopharyngeal Cancer
The enumerated points exhibit the most effective treatment options for nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Radiation Therapy – Radiation therapy procedure destroys the undesired cancerous cells with the help of high-intensity radiation. It targets the affected area or tumor and helps a patient to get rid of nasopharyngeal cancer within a short span of time.
- Chemotherapy – Chemotherapy is known to proffer best beneficial outcomes to patients battling nasopharyngeal cancer. It involves the use of influential drugs which can kill malignant tissues and cells effectively. It can be given along with radiation therapy procedure to ensure a successful treatment of nasopharyngeal cancer.
- Surgery – A surgery can be implemented to remove the cancerous tissues lying in nasopharynx region of patients. In most instances, surgeons may recommend a surgery in combination with other treatment therapies like chemotherapy or radiation therapy. It can help patients suffering from high-grade nasopharyngeal cancer to live a cancer-free life.
Recovery Following Nasopharyngeal Cancer Treatment
A complete recovery following a nasopharyngeal cancer treatment totally depends on patient’s lifestyle as well as will power. Patients must strictly follow each and every guideline of respective oncologists. Surgeons may refer them to an experienced dentist to avoid any post-surgical mouth complications like dry mouth or severe mouth infections. Patients will need to eat a customized diet until they heal completely. In addition to this, they may visit a psychologist or other medical professional to cope up with the stress and anxiety which they are likely to encounter. A positive attitude is a key to a smooth and speedy healing following nasopharyngeal cancer treatment.
Best Nasopharyngeal Cancer Treatment in India with IndianMedTrip
IndianMedTrip has managed to be one of the top-most cancer care providers in Indian country due to its excellent healthcare solutions. Healthcare consultants at IndianMedTrip are hand in hand with best super specialty hospitals in India that have all prime facilities including latest state-of-the-art technology, modern diagnostic tools, and infrastructure. Nasopharyngeal cancer treatment cost in India is extremely reasonable in comparison with leading developed nations like Canada, Australia, or United States. IndianMedTrip makes sure that overseas patients get most affordable treatment plan under the guidance of top oncologists in India. They also render additional rejuvenation holiday packages to aid a speedy recovery to their global guests. Therefore, international patients looking for cost-effective and high-quality nasopharyngeal cancer treatment in India may consult with IndianMedTrip to ensure a successful cancer treatment in a hassle-free environment.
Interested in Our Services?
REQUEST FREE CONSULTATION