Send Us your Enquiry  

Prostate Artery Embolization

What is Prostate Artery Embolization?

This is a non surgical method for the treatment of an enlarged prostate in which the arteries that feed the gland are blocked off and this causes the gland to shrink. It is not a surgeon who performs this procedure, but an interventional radiologist and this method of treatment is an alternative to Trans Urethral resection of prostate or TURP. This method was first carried out in 2009 and since then many men have opted for this procedure.

Prostate Artery Embolization

Why prostate artery embolization is needed?

With the help of certain tests the doctor will ensure that you have an enlarged prostate which is causing noticeable and troublesome symptoms. This method is resorted for after trying all other methods like medication.

Who makes the decision?

The doctor in charge of your case will discuss your situation with an interventional radiologist and they will decide that this is the best alternative for you. However, these professionals will definitely take your opinion into consideration before reaching a decision.

Who does a prostate artery embolization?

Usually a specialist doctor known as an interventional radiologist will perform this procedure. These professionals have special expertise at handling of X ray equipment and in interpreting the X ray images. This is the reason that an interventional radiologist is the best person to insert the needles and fine catheters into the blood vessels through the skin and put them in the right place.

Where does the procedure take place?

The procedure is usually performed in the X ray department of the hospital in a special screening room. This room is specially adapted for interventional procedures.

How to prepare for this procedure?

You will have to be hospitalized overnight and will be asked not to eat anything for four hours before the procedure. You may be administered a sedative for relieving anxiety. The procedure is usually carried out on the big artery in the groin, the skin around this area will be shaved. You should let your doctor know of any allergies that you may have. You should also let your doctor know if you have previously reacted to intravenous contrast medium.

Interested in Our Services?


Share on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on LinkedInShare on StumbleUpon

Plan Your Med Trip